With arms outstretched...

Compartment 14B

Newest Older Contact Me Profile Photos Etsy

The uterine conspiracy.

2008-05-15 - 10:23 p.m.

Today was supposed to be my last full day at work (tomorrow Iíve only got a half day); my uterus had other plans and I ended up at the hospital in the afternoon for a non-stress test. I donít mean to go all melodramatic about it because I never thought I was in active labour, but I did wonder if the large number of Braxton Hicks contractions I was experiencing, well, forecast that labour would be starting before the June 3rd date for my c-section.

I had misgivings about going to the hospital, mostly because I had total visions of being that car that makes an unsettling noiseÖ until it gets to the mechanic and purrs like a kitten. Fortunately, the monitor bore out what I told the nurse was happening and I was getting Braxton Hicks contractions both often and in a pattern. Like, as in, small ones every 3-4 minutes, with a stronger one about every 5th one.

The verdict was that the Biscuit is fine and this could go on for a good long while Ė right up until June 3rd, and I should probably gear down my activity level a bit (I went to my weight-lifting class last night and yoga the day before, and I think thatís probably the last time Iíll be at either before the birth, given this new development) and drink more fluids. If they get worse I should go back, and if I do go into labour I need to decide whether Iíll be opting for a c-section or try for a VBAC.

I kind of got the impression that the people at the hospital didnít see why I wouldnít try for a VBAC. It was pointed out that the need for the section last time was prompted by the fact that Grommet was in distress and not by any inherent uterine problem of mine. Therefore, the implication was, if this fetus wasnít in distress, why not try labour? I have to admit I see their point, but my reproductive endocrinologist definitely was in favour of the repeat c-section, and my doctor left if up to me in the sense that she gave me the math and said sheíd support whichever decision I made, but the math she gave wasnít encouraging.

Am I wimping out? Am I making the right decision? For the right reasons? Should I let fate decide Ė labour before the 3rd, give it a try, no labour before then, go through with the planned surgery? I was pretty sure and now Iím less so. Iím not totally torn or leaning the other way, but Iíd peg it more at being 95% sure before, and maybe 75% now.

Oh, and if youíre wondering, I will, in fact, now have to go in on the weekend to ensure that my files are transferred properly. Boo!

Before - After

All content © Shawna 2003-2010
That means no swiping my stuff - text, images, etc. - without asking.

P.S. If you're emailing me, replace the [at] with @ in the "to" line. Oh, and if you put the word "journal" in the subject line it'll have a better chance of making it past my junk mail filters.

recommend me
HTML and design help by Jo
hosted by Diaryland